Seeking aspiring founders, hackers, and product managers to help design and build the bank of the future, in collaboration with HSBC.
This remote externship program has been designed by Paragon One in collaboration with HSBC to offer talented students an opportunity to develop and showcase their strategic problem solving, product management, and critical thinking skills by designing the Web3 bank of the future.
HSBC is investing in and deploying technology to improve customer experience, make the bank more efficient and enable its growth priorities. The Global Ventures, Digital Innovation & Partnership group seeks to improve upon HSBC’s approach to innovation by building on foundational capabilities, further scaling existing projects, and applying VC-like commercial discipline to the bank's technology investments.
The Global Ventures, Innovation, and Partnerships team helps to accelerate the development of digital products and services in the bank's key markets, spread across four services:
- Open: Testing and developing new ideas
- Catalyst: Supporting projects and ideas to scale
- Invest: Investing in early-stage technology
- Accel: Demonstrating new ways of working
During the program, students will conduct research about potential banking solutions using Web3 technology and design a product demonstrating how technology can help HSBC build the bank of the future for its customers.
Through the externship, you will have a chance to research, ideate, and develop a product plan with mockups of a banking solution based on Web3 technology.
Your mission is to reimagine what customers will want next, or how we can improve the way a bank operates, and then prototype these new solutions.
Externs will bridge the gap between technology and business because they understand both the business value of the technology and the technology itself. Breaking down the monolithic structure of banks will enable HSBC to re-imagine its capabilities and processes to deliver innovative products and experiences.
This unique opportunity focuses on the discovery portion of product development. Your goal as an extern will be to understand HSBC’s needs as a bank, familiarize yourself with blockchain / Web3 technology, and ultimately propose new products or strategic initiatives for HSBC.
- Develop an understanding of different verticals/business units within the consumer banking sector, specifically within HSBC
- Research blockchain technology and the fintech space to understand the potential benefits and applications for innovative disruptive solutions
- Learn and implement the product development cycle including persona development, ideation, competitive research, user journeys, and product requirement planning
- Plan and present a novel solution that disrupts traditional finance and banking using Web3, DeFi, or some other innovative technology solution
We are seeking ambitious bootcamp, undergrad and graduate students and recent grads with a passion for Web3, product, and finance. This program is perfect for students who would be excited to imagine the bank of the future leveraging Web3. This is a global program and applications are open to students from all over the world.
- Familiarity with Web3 (experience building / using OR strong interest)
- Familiarity with banking (coursework in econ/finance OR general experience in/understanding of financial industry)
- Interest in product development OR starting your own company/crypto protocol
- A passion for solving challenging problems and delivering great user experiences
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A willingness to work in a fast-paced environment