The Home Depot is launching an externship pilot program in partnership with its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and The Home Depot Services departments, providing students an opportunity to work on an actual organizational challenge faced by The Home Depot. Externs will conduct a detailed analysis of the contractor loyalty programs offered by competing companies and suggest best practices, actionable insights, and thoughtful strategic solutions for The Home Services team at The Home Depot.
Externs will participate in research, analysis, and innovation in a fast-paced team, identifying gaps in The Home Depot’s loyalty program and providing actionable and realistic recommendations The Home Depot Home Services team can implement to improve customer retention and expand the Service Provider Network.
Externs will benchmark contractor loyalty programs at public and private companies focusing on contractors that partner with large construction companies, big-box retailers, or referral services.
During this Externship, students will also:
- Become familiar with the vision, mission, and work of The Home Depot.
- Gather information on the broader landscape of loyalty programs among B2B companies.
- Identify the best practices and principles of successful loyalty programs.
- Research construction companies, the competitive landscape, and big-box retailers currently running loyalty programs through third-party contractors/service providers.
- Conduct a deep dive into existing loyalty programs and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Create and deliver a compelling presentation showcasing recommendations into best practices and prominent trends in contractor loyalty programs based on insights and analysis.
We are seeking ambitious sophomores and juniors from Morehouse College, Spelman College, and Clark Atlanta University with a strong interest in exploring business strategy and market research and learning to collect and use data to build effective growth strategies in the B2B market.
Our Commitment to HBCUs
At The Home Depot, we are committed to advancing education for all. We proudly support HBCUs and recognize the incredibly talented students these colleges and universities prepare and graduate into the workforce. That is why we strive to give back to HBCUs what they have so generously given their communities: a strong foundation, renewed purpose, and distinctive character.
We have a longstanding partnership with HBCUs, dating back to 2009. The Home Depot Retool Your School program has been Powered by Purpose for twelve years, committed to uplifting HBCUs through campus improvement grants. Through the Remote Externship program, we are proud to be expanding our Retool Your School program to support HBCUs in additional ways beyond campus improvement grants, supporting career development through opportunities for hands-on learning and certification preparing students for the workforce with the necessary skills for success.
The Home Depot also sponsored the 2022 HBCU Legacy Bowl, which showcased the best draft-eligible HBCU football players, celebrated Black culture and history, and provided career networking opportunities for HBCU students.